Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Adapt or Die - Billy Bearn (May Training)




" Adapt or Die" - Billy Bearn, Moneyball (Movie)

It’s from one of my favorite scenes in the movie Moneyball – where a young GM, Billy Bearn, played by Brad Pitt, explains to his very ‘veterened’ scouts that it was time to change.  He challenged them to recognize that they were the runt of the litter and if they did not adapt, they were destined to expire.

I'm not thinking I'm the runt of the litter, that said as a very average runner/ cyclist at 33 years old I'm certainly at the back end of the age group times for 30-35. 

This quote hit a cord with my training plan, never be afraid to look at the plan and think "this isn't working for me" 

Little Z-Girl is becoming more advanced and a little more demanding; and I want to spend more time with her. 

The weather has gotten darker, colder and wetter making long weekend bike rides being cancelled at the last minute and it's tough to muster motivation on a cold dark Wednesday night to lace up the trainers for a 5km run. 

With the little superstar generally waking up anywhere between 6am-6:30am it's a great time for me to do an outfit change, wipe a bum and get a little cuddle and a chat about life and sports before she demands a functioning nipple to feed on (something I can't provide)

To assist with being there for this moment and spending more quality time with Super Wife in the evenings without getting the training guilt's (we all get them) I've changed it up and moved to a early bird routine. 

Waking up before the sun hits the sky means I can get in a strength or run workout prior to hitting the bike for my ride to work. I have multiple routes I can on the bike to turn this ride into a hard reverse brick session or a recovery ride so to speak. 

The treadmill and bike trainer are gathering less dust, this morning was a good example had planned a 30min run but with bad weather it was highlights of Giro on the iPad while I thumped my feet on the treadmill. 



Training Plan for May:

  • Mon - 5:15am - strength workout unless sore from bike ride/ rugby then its a rest day
  • Tues - 5:15am Strength Workout with Kettlebells
  • Wed - 5:15am 30min Run/ 5km Run (treadmill if wet)
  • Thurs - 5:15am Strength Workout/ Evening sometimes rugby training run
  • Fri - Cycle to work, long ride no morning workout
  • Sat - Light run/ walk to loosen joints, play rugby game if scheduled
  • Sun - Group Ride weather dependent or its on the wind trainer for 30 mins consistent pace
**Remembering where possible I'm riding upwards of 3-5 days per week each morning and evening.


It's a big month for me, entry to Geelong 70.3 is due mid May & the Winter Dualathlon Schedule is being released, need to focus on first event the 10km run so more striding in the legs for longer periods is needed. 

Stuck in doors good excuse to stretch more and build body strength up. 

I've put more focus on diet recently; this has been mainly due to the wife talking to a dietitian herself and looking to get her running back on track. 

On wards to May - what will it bring??? 

No comments:

Post a Comment